Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

Holiday Entertaining tips

The holidays can be stressful for a lot of people. I recommend First plan ahead and ask for help. We still get together as a large extended family 25 or so people. Everyone brings a dish to share. This helps take a lot of pressure off everyone. Then just relax, and have fun creating new memories.

We've been doing it for so long that most people have a signiture dish they bring. I typically bring the green bean casserole with frenchs onions and then some desserts. Heres my favorites.

I like to make things that look difficult, fancy, and are delicious. I even recycle snacks. How do you recycle a snack. A few years ago I found a recipe i believe from Kraft magazine for Oreo truffles. Its the easiest thing to make and everyone always asks for the recipe.

Oreo Truffles
1 bag of oreo cookies (I have used store brand too)
1 package of cream cheese (I use the low fat version and have been told it tastes better)
Melting chocolate or chocolate chips (I use wilton melting chocolate. it melts so evenly)
Sprinkles or garnish
Peppermint extract (my secret ingredient)

Crush oreos in a food processor. Mix in cream cheese. I do this all in my food processor. Scoop out mixture into small balls. I like about 1/2 TBS size. They are the perfect size bite and you get tons out of the batter. put in freezer for at least an hour. I usually leave overnight.
Take balls out of freezer. Melt chocolate in microwave following directions on package. Dip truffles in melted chocolate and sprinkle with garnish.

I like mine minty like a girl scout cookie. If you like that too add a few drops of peppermint extract to the melted chocolate before dipping. Get creative for the garnishes I have chopped up left over peppermints, used crushed cookies, chopped nuts, drizzles white chocolate over the tops. Just make sure you do it when the chocolate is still wet so the garnish sticks...


Another recycled treat...
Not quite homemade Designer Cookies
take inexpensive butter cookies and dip them in chocolate, garnish and then serve or package in decorative containers for gifts. For a designer look I like to mix up the way they are dipped and use several different garnishes. Its easier then you think.

Try these ideas
Dont dip the whole cookie instead hold it like you would if you were dipping it in a cup of tea. Dip only half of the cookie in chocolate. Dip some in white chocolate.
Drizzle the chocolate in stripes over the top (i like this on the pretzel shaped ones).
Garnish with chopped peppermints, nuts, sprinkles, I use whatever I can find in the pantry.
Dip some in chocolate and then drizzle the white over the top
do some the opposite way, white chocolate with dark on top

Find fun containers at the dollar store. I like to put mine in mini muffin wrappers. You can find those in the grocery store or at a craft/cake decorators supply store. Wilton melting chocolate is in craft stores/cake decorating supply stores

I hope you enjoy these fun tips. I will share more as the weeks go on.

Remember you dont have to be martha to make your friends think you are.

Melissa :)

www.FrugalRImama.com and Scott Common sense community are having a $100 visa card giveaway and it inspired me to share this tip. Go on over and see how you can win...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I meant to tell you that Kraft has the Oreo recipe up on the site. It was on the home page, but they have changed it now. But yours are different because you add little extras to them. I still want to try an alcohol version with some schnapps. ;)

Unknown said...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/RecipeAllRatings.aspx?cm_re=1-_-1-_-RecipeRating&recipe_id=95085