Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

Memories of Gluwein....

The holidays are fast aproaching and as the weather turns cold fond memories come flooding back of when I was in Germany for the Christmas season. I was 18 and traveling with Up With people... I have always had a strange fascination with Germany, its language, its history, its culture. Sometimes I wonder about reincarnation...

It was beautiful there with the open air markets, the craftsmanship of all the items being sold was just amazing. Its hard to find such passion as the sellers had for thier craft. Being a crafter I can apreciate all the hard work they put into each piece.

It was cold though... And I dont like the cold. BUT there was a silver lining or rather a red one...

GLUWEIN.

Absolutely amazing. warm spiced red wine. (I am not normally a red wine drinker). But walking through those markets with a warm glass of spiced wine was a wonderful experience. And I do mean glass. A real glass and it was FULL, with a long cinimon stick leaning on the edge of the glass. The smell of cinimon and cloves wofting out of the cup. Maybe the experience was as much about the smell you carried with you as you strolled along. Cinimmon and cloves are just so commonly associated with the holidays.

I have yet to try to make it myself. My sister once bought me spice bags to make it and wow that was great. they were like a tea bag you just dropped in the pot of hot wine. SO now when I come acrossed those packettes at craft fairs I pick them up.

I did find this recipe online and plan to try to make it myself this year... I wonder if my sister is up for this...Rina what do you say?

If youd like to try to catch a glimpse of this German tradition try this recipe or if you have a favorite family one send it to me.

Anyway. I hope you enjoy. Heres to a happy holiday season. Cheers.

Melissa

Hot Mulled Wine (Glühwein, "glow wine")

Ingredients (serves 2-3 persons)

•1 bottle of dry red wine (750 ml)
•one lemon
•2 sticks of cinnamon
•3 cloves
•3 tablespoons of sugar
•some cardamom (or ginger)
Directions
Heat the red wine in a pot (don't boil). Cut the lemon into slices and add to the wine. Then add the cinnamon, cloves, sugar and a little cardamom (to taste). Heat everything for about 5 minutes - do not boil - and let stand for about an hour. Before serving, reheat and strain. Serve in prewarmed glasses or mugs.

Lenox & TwitterMoms Drinks of the SeasonMore Drinks of the Season Recipes

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey I'm going to make this tonight for a holiday party and will tell you how it turns out. ;)