Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

From the Heart - Cranberry Wreath

It wouldnt be fair for me not to share this gorgeous wreath with you.  Ive seen versions of it in many magazines over the years but i beleive I saw it first on TV when Martha made it one year.  Its one of the few things I make that I actually have to say I saw her do first.

Its very simple but time consuming. I have also done topiaries with this and they are gorgeous too.


You need:
1 foam wreath shape or cone/topiary- from a craft store or dollar store
ribbon
floral wire
wood toothpicks I buy the cheapest flat ones I can
1-2 bags of cranberries depending on the size of wreath you make. I usually can get away with 1 bag and make about a 15" wreath.

Cut or break toothpicks in half and poke one end into the wreath and the other end into the cranberry.  I like to make a row of cranberries and the next row goes in between the first row.  SO they are very close together.  you just keep alternating like that around the wreath.

You only have to cover the front of the wreath so just eyeball what you can see.  Once covered you may decide to add a second layer on top.  Its a prefernce if you like to fill in the holes.  Then wrap a ribbon around it, add a wire to hang and your done.

This has become a tradition for me since the first one i made.  The natural colors of the cranberries are perfect for the holiday and give an old world feel.  Juts be on the lookout for falling cranberries as the season goes on.  they wont start dropping off but you'll have a few. 

Send me in the photos of your wreaths. 

Melissa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember one year it was stored in the attic, and some critters got to it. So just a word of advice, careful where and how you store it. :) Beautiful wreath nonetheless!!