Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chores, Manners and Rewards for Preschoolers

I thought I had posted about this already but couldnt find it...  Maybe i just posted it on my facebook.  ANyway...


We were having issues with manners and getting ready for school on time (and sometimes still do). 


I had a "chore" chart I made in my MOPs group.  Its a poster with velcro images that were meant to help preschoolers get ready for their day.  We moved her picture under the items she had done like get dressed, brush teeth, eat breakfast...  something simple she could follow and when she reached the end she was ready to go.  That worked for a little while but then she just ignored it.  


I found us giving lots of time outs and seemed like we were always focusing on negative behavior and not rewarding her for positive things.  SO I decided we needed a new system.


My sister was using a deck of cards to reward her sons and it gave me this idea.  I made a deck of cards each one  with positive traits/manners that I wanted her to learn printed on it.  I made them all cute with her favorite colors and photos on them.  And then half of the deck I printed rewards I thought she would enjoy.  Things like a family movie night, getting her nails painted, computer time... etc.  


Heres what I came up with.  



If you cant see the project above try clicking here.

Oh and the card that looks a little goofed up is the one Allie made. :)  She likes to work on the computer.

If you want to make a deck of your own set up your own free account on my my website www.DigitalStorybooks.com   then start a new project or look through the thousands of ideas in our template gallery.  Do you wish yours looked like mine?  Just contact me and I can give you a template of the one I made for Allie.  You just swap out the photos and change the wording for your family/child and then publish.  Its that easy.

I hope this helps give you some ideas.  It definitely has helped us recognize the good things she is doing even on the days we may have a few battles.  We can see at the end of the day that it wasnt ALL bad...  :)

No comments: