Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

How to "ROLL" CVS ECB's: my shopping this week

Often people dont quite understand how things end up being free.  Even my husband sometimes says "Well, you paid for something in order to get the extra care bucks.(ECB).."  Its true at some point money has come out of my pocket.  So how can I say it was all free? keep reading...

For example this past week toothpaste was $3.50 and you got a $3.50 ECB back.  If I actually paid the $3.50 in cash I still consider this FREE because I still have $3.50 in ECB's to spend another day.  now if I spend the $3.50 on items that dont produce an ECB those are the ones in my mind I have paid for.  I hope this makes sense.  

With that said here's an example on how you can "ROLL" your ECB's.  This is when you use ECB's to buy items that produce more ECB's; getting more free items without any more oop expense.

I went in twice this week and did a few transactions.  I hope you can follow below.

I started the week with 3,3,3,2 in  ECB's (total of $11).  I looked at the ad and there were a few "FREE" items producing a $2 ECB.  since I had a $2ECB in my wallet this looked like a great place to start.

Transaction #1
Aussie shampoo $2.99
(2) sobe lifewater $1.69 (B1G1 FREE sale)
Gold Emblum Chocolate Almonds $.99
sub total: $5.67
coupons used:
aussie -$1 off
sobe lifewater -$1.69 (B1G1 coupon)
Gold Emblum $1 off any almond product
Total: $1.98  Get $2 ECB for the shampoo = FREE

I used last weeks $2ECB to pay for this order so the only cash I paid was $.05 tax. this is "rolling".  because I paid with an ECB and got an ECB back.  

Transaction #2
colgate toothpaste $2.99
(2) sobe lifewaters $1.69 (B1G1 FREE sale)
Gold Emblum Chocolate Almonds $.99
sub total: $5.67
coupons used:
colgate -$1 off
sobe lifewater -$1.69 (B1G1 coupon)
Gold Emblum $1 off any almond product
Total: $1.98  Get $2 ECB for the colgate = FREE pay with the $2 ECB from Trans #1 and paid $.02 OOP for tax 

Transaction #3
Gillette mach3 razor $6.49
(2) crest pro white toothpaste $3.50 each
Gold Emblum Chocolate Almonds $.99
sub total: $14.48
coupons used:
mach3 -2 off
crest -1 off wyb2
Gold Emblum $1 off any almond product
Total: $10.48  Get 7 for the crest and 2 for the razor = cost $1.48  The cashier misquoted me and told me it was $11.48 so I overpaid paid with the total $11 ECB's I had.  

I called CVS the next day and the manager told me he'd issue me a $.52 ECB on my next visit. :)  I love CVS.  SO much easier and nicer then Wags.  SO on my next visit I went to get my credit and the computer adjusted up and instead I got $1ECB. woohoo.

I had some palmolive coupons expiring so I checked the price and found they were going on sale tomorrow which means at my CVS you can buy it on Sat night. so i got next weeks price but used the coupon expiring today.  What luck.
I bought 6 palmolive $.99 each
and a powerbar gel blast $1.50
Sub total: $7.44 + $.06 tax
-1 off powerbar blast
(3 coupons) -1 off palmolive wyb2
total $3.50 used $2 ECB from the other day AND the $1 they gave me today = $.50 oop
I got $1.50 ECB for the powerbar
AND $1 for my green tag = $2.50 ECB left 
total cost today was $1.  (.50 cash and $.50 ECB)

Retail value $51.41 
OOP expense was ONLY $.57
I started the week with $11 in ECB's and ended with $9.50 = cost of $1.50 ECBS
or total cost for the week $2.07 (1.50ECB+ .57cash)

or if you look back everything was free
except I paid $1 for 6 palmolive($.17 each)
and that leaves $1.05 for the razor (which came with $15 worth of coupons inside the package)

I know this was long but hope you were able to follow it and maybe it will help you to start planning your CVS shopping trips.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a great trip to CVS last week too. my oop w/tax was $.94. I do agree that cvs is nicer than Wags. At wags, they never do the coupons in the right order and I always end up spending more money. Plus they told me that their coupon policy changed and you have to have equal number of 'purchased items' to number of coupons used. So careful with the BOGO sales and coupons there.

Melissa said...

Awesome job... Wags has always been total # items to coupons must match. CVS is just so much friendlier.