Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Christmas traditions with Children

Growing up I had many holiday traditions that I plan to continue with my children and some new ones we've added.  Here are 5 to get you started...

1.)Have some kind of countdown or advent calendar.  I find it helps with the excitement. 
Young children dont really understand the concept of time.  SO this helps them to see how long it will be.  You can include a small treat each day to help remind them to be good until christmas.  Last year we got a cute my little pony one.  Instead of getting chocolate everyday she gat a small toy.  It was a more then I usually spend ($14) but better then candy and she still plays with all the ponies!!!  it was like an extra christmas gift.  This year I found a pattern to make a countdown at home, and each day she will see different photos of our family.  Check it out in my gifts under $25 post.

2.)Decorate the tree together.
We've decided that there will be an adult tree and a kids tree in the basement play area.  Make sure to get your children involved.  I know it may sound cliche' but kids love stringing popcorn, cranberries, foil candy wrappers, beads whatever you can find.  Make an afternoon of it with Hot cocoa.  ***I like to put a candy cane "stirrer" in mine.  My daughter gets so excited when  do this.

I also will use this as an opportunity to remind them what the holiday is about.  I have a christmas nail ornament that has a story about Jesus included in the package. I gave it to my Nana and when she passed it was one of the things I was able to get back.  Now every christmas I sit with my daughter and read her the story.  I named her after my nana so I have let her hang the nail every year on the tree.

3.) Make Homemade wreaths.  check out my post here to see how.
 My daughter loves to collect the greens for this.  and it usually turns into a 2 day event for her.  she'll be 4 this year and her attention span is short.  We collect the greens one day and the next make a door swag.  or let them make thier own.  a quick project is to take a foam wreath (at any craft store) and just glue things to it...  Kids love candy and it will make a cute wreath.  buy a few bags of star mints and just start glueing.  Another inexpensive option is to use a paper plate as the wreath form.  Keep the things light though.

4.) Make Cookies or a ginger bread house.  check here for a favorite oreo truffles.
We do these 2 as one activity.  why not make a big mess all at once?  Baking is magical to kids.  at least my daughter.  She loves to see how putting multiple things together can make something else entirely.  She even plays "cooking" all the time bringing me her fake food.  it is usually playing cards as bread with stickers, paper, and some other secret ingredients that she wants me to eat... I love the pride she shows when we go to a party and she can tell people that she and mommy made the cookies.

5.) Home made or handcrafted gifts
I have been making homemade ornament since i was 5...  now we do it together.  if you arent crafty check out your local craft store. they make kits for easy ornaments. everything is all contained and you could even wrap it up and let your child open it like an early christmas gift. 

Check back here as i will be posting several of my favorite ones in the next few weeks in a "Home for the Holidays Coutdown" series. Each day I will post a different idea of something you can make at home.  Use them yourself or give them as gifts.   

Thanks twittermoms and Nickolodeon for getting me thinking about this post.  Id love to hear your favorite holiday activities; post a comment here.




Watch Dora's Christmas Carol Adventure Dec. 6 on Nickelodeon
Favorite Holiday Activities with Kids

No comments: